Table of Contents
Here follows a Timeline for events in Japan’s long history currently on our website. This will continue to expand over time.
- 660BC – 11th February. Emperor Jimmu comes to the throne.
- 581BC – Emperor Jimmu dies. Emperor Suizei comes to the throne.
- 549BC – Emperor Suizei dies.
- 98BC – Emperor Sujin comes to the throne.
- 29BC – Emperor Sujin dies. Emperor Suinin comes to the throne.
- 71AD – Emperor Suinin dies. Emperor Keiko comes to the throne.
- 131AD – Emperor Keiko dies. Emperor Seimu comes to the throne.
- 179AD –Emperor Seimu makes Emperor Chuai Crown-Prince.
- 192AD – Emperor Siemu dies. Emperor Chuai comes to the throne.
- 270AD – Emperor Chuai dies. Emperor Ojin comes to the throne.
- 313AD – Emperor Ojin dies. Emperor Nintoku comes to the throne.
- 400AD – Emperor Nintoku dies. Emperor Richu comes to the throne.
- 404AD – Emperor Nintoku appoints Local Recorders to the Provinces and establishes the Treasury.
- 406AD – Emperor Richu dies. Emperor Hanzei comes to the throne.
- 412AD – Emperor Hanzei dies. Emperor Ingyo comes to the throne.
- 453AD – Emperor Ingyo dies. Emperor Anko comes to the throne.
- 456AD – Emperor Anko is murdered. Emperor Yuryaku comes to the throne.
- 479AD – Emperor Yuryaku dies. Emperor Seinei comes to the throne.
- 485AD – Emperor Seinei dies. Emperor Kenzo comes to the throne.
- 488AD – Emperor Kenzo dies. Emperor Ninken comes to the throne.
- 498AD – Emperor Ninken dies. Emperor Buretsu comes to the throne.
- 507AD – Emperor Buretsu dies. Emperor Keitai comes to the throne.
- 531AD – Emperor Ankan comes to the throne.
- 536AD – Emperor Ankan dies aged 70. Emperor Senka comes to the throne.
- 539AD – Emperor Senka dies. Emperor Kinmei is born.
- 553AD – First mention of calendar makers.
- 571AD – Emperor Kimmei dies.
- 572AD – Emperor Bidatsu comes to the throne.
- 585AD – Emperor Bidatsu dies aged 47. Emperor Yomei comes to the throne.
- 587AD – Emperor Yomei dies. Emperor Sushun comes to the throne.
- 592AD – Emperor Sushun dies.
- 593AD – Empress Suiko comes to the throne.
- 620AD – The Kujiki is completed.
- 621AD – Shotoku Taisha dies aged 49.
- 626AD – Soga no Umako dies.
- 628AD – Empress Suiko dies.
- 629AD – Emperor Jomei comes to the throne.
- 641AD – Emperor Jomei dies.
- 642AD – Empress Kogyoku comes to the throne.
- 645AD – Empress Kogyoku abdicates. Soga Clan is destroyed. Taika Reforms are created.
- 668AD – Emperor Tenji comes to the throne.
- 671AD – Emperor Tenji dies.
- 681AD passed for edict for the creation of law-codes, known as the Asuka no Kyomihara Ritsuryō. (Finished in 689AD).
- 682AD – Emperor Tenmu commissions `history of the Emperors and of matters of high antiquity.`
- 1282AD – Ōnakatomi Sadayo writes a copy of the Kojiki.
- 1371AD – Ken’yuu writes the oldest surviving copy of the Kojiki.
- 1683AD – The Shin Otogi Bōko is written.
- 1712AD – The Yōkai artist Toriyama Sekien is born and the Wakan Sansai Zue is published.
- 1721AD – The poet Maki Tōei is born.
- 1735AD – The artist Utagawa Toyoharu is born.
- 1738AD – The Hyakkai Zukan is published.
- 1753AD – The artist Kitagawa Utamaro is born.
- 1773AD – The Toriyamabiko is published.
- 1776AD – The Gazu Hyakki Yagyō is published.
- 1779AD – The Konjaku Gazu Zoku Hyakki is published.
- 1781AD – The Konjaku Hyakki Shūi is published.
- 1783AD – The poet Maki Tōei dies.
- 1784AD – The Hyakki Tsurezure Bukuro is published.
- 1788AD – The Yokai artist Toriyama Sekien dies.
- 1800`s – Emperor Nintoku`s tomb is explored by William Gowland.
- 1806AD – The artist Kitagawa Utamaro dies.
- 1814AD – The artist Utagawa Toyoharu dies.
- 1833AD – The Bōsō Manroku is published.
Find the website useful?