- See also: List of Provinces
Ikinoshima (壱岐島, Onward Isle) was the fifth of the Great Land of Eightfold Isles to have been born by Izanami and Izanagi, inhabited by the Spirit Amehitotsubashira. It is a large island of the N.W coast of Kyushu. Its name derives from the work ‘Iki’ (to go) as it was a trading route between Yamato and the Korean Peninsula.1 The main text of the Nihongi says it was the eighth island to be born at the same time as Tsushima.2
1. Yasumaro. O, translated by Gustav Heldt. (2014) “Kojiki. An Account of Ancient Matters”. New York: Columbia University Press.
2. Aston. W.G. (1896) “Nihongi Volume 1: Chronicles of Japan from the Earliest Times to AD697″. Tuttle Publishing.
3. Kodansha. (1993) ”Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia”. Tokyo: Kodansha Ltd.
4. Louis Frederic, translated by Kathe Roth (2002) “Japan Encyclopedia”. London: Harvard University Press.
Check out the Japan Archives, our Japanese History Podcast