- See also: List of Provinces
Table of Contents
Tsushima (Port Isle, 対馬) was the sixth of the Great Land of Eightfold Isles to have been born by Izanami and Izanagi, inhabited by the kami Amenosadeyorihime. It acted as an important harbour between Kyushu and Korea. The Wei Account describes it as a rugged and heavily forested island, the people here relying on the sea for their livelihood.1
1. Yasumaro. O, translated by Gustav Heldt. (2014) “Kojiki. An Account of Ancient Matters”. New York: Columbia University Press.
2. Aston. W.G. (1896) “Nihongi Volume 1: Chronicles of Japan from the Earliest Times to AD697″. Tuttle Publishing.
3. Kodansha. (1993) ”Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia”. Tokyo: Kodansha Ltd.
4. Louis Frederic, translated by Kathe Roth (2002) “Japan Encyclopedia”. London: Harvard University Press.
|Kinai||Izumi * Kawachi * Settsu * Yamashiro * Yamato|
|Tōsandō||Dewa * Hida * Kōzuke * Mino * Mutsu * Omi * Shimotsuke * Shinano|
|Hokurikudō||Echigo * Echizen * Etchū * Kaga * Koshi * Wakasa|
|San’indō||Hōki * Inaba * Izumo * Tajima * Tamba * Tango|
|Tōkaidō||Ise * Kai * Kazusa * Mikawa * Owari * Sagami * Shimōsa * Suruga * Tōtōmi|
|Nankaidō||Awa * Iyo * Kii * Sanuki * Tosa|
|San’yōdō||Aki * Harima * Mimasaka|
|Saikaidaō||Bungo * Chikuzen * Hizen * Hyūga * Iki * Tsushima|
Find the website useful?