The Date Clan (伊達氏) are descendants of Isa Tomomune, who later changed his name to Date Tomomune. After helping Minamoto no Yoritomo defeat his brother Yoshitsune in 1189 he was given the Date Dictrict of Mutsu Province from which he made the clan name.12
During the Battle of Sekigahara, under the leadership of Date Masamune, they fought on the side of Tokugawa Ieyasu, and so due to aiding him they retained their lands in the aftermath,12 they were also given the Sendai Domain in Mutsu Province for their help in the battle.1
Members of the Clan
- Isa Tomomune –
- Date Masamune – 1567-1635
- Date Munekatsu – 1621-1679
- Date Tanemune – 1488-1565
- Date Teramune – d.1584
- Date Tsunamune – 1640-1711
- Date Tsunamura – 1659-1719
1. Kodansha. (1993) ”Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia”. Tokyo: Kodansha Ltd.
2. Louis Frederic, translated by Kathe Roth (2002) “Japan Encyclopedia”. London: Harvard University Press.
Check out Japan Archives, our Japanese History Podcast