- Period: Edo Period
- Occupation: Daimyō of the Sendai Domain
- Family: Date Tsunamune (father) Date Munekatsu (uncle)
- Birth: 1659
- Death: 1719
- Sendai Domain Daimyō Succession: Predecessor Date Tsunamune * Successor Date Yoshimura
He succeeded his father though at first power really lie with his uncle Munekatsu.1 In 1666 one of his attendants died after tasting his food, rumours saying his uncle was the cause of the attempted poisoning, these events later being called the Date Sōdō.2
Later during his time as daimyō he improved the administration of the land and developed the arts.1
1. Kodansha. (1993) ”Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia”. Tokyo: Kodansha Ltd.
2. Louis Frederic, translated by Kathe Roth (2002) “Japan Encyclopedia”. London: Harvard University Press.
Find the website useful?