- Period: Heian Period / Kamakura Period
- Occupation: Waka Poet, Chancellor of the Realm, Monk.
- Family: Elder sister (who was Teika’s wife)
- Birth: 1171D
- Death: 1244AD
In 1222AD he was appointed as the Chancellor of the Realm and later entered in religion in 1231AD.
He is regarded to have been one of the best poets of his time and we can find 114 of his poems in Imperial Anthologies.
|Japanese text2||Romanized Japanese1||English translation1|
Arashi no niwa no
Furiyuku mono wa
Waga mi narikeri
|As if lured by the storm|
The blossoms are strewn about,
White upon the garden floor,
Yet all this whiteness is not snow -
It is me who withers and grows old.
1. MacMillan, P. (2018) ”One Hundred Poets, One Poem Each: A Treasury of Classical Japanese Verse”. St. Ives: Penguin Classics.
2. Suzuki, H. et al. (1997) ”Genshoku: Ogura Hyakunin Isshu”. Tokyo: Bun’eidō.
Find the website useful?