- Co-ordinates: 33°45′N 133°30′E
- Prefecture: Ehime Prefecture, Kagawa Prefecture, Kochi Prefecture, Tokushima Prefecture.
The Kojiki elaborates more stating the island is made up of one body with four faces. Each face of the island was inhabited by a Spirit. The S.W face called Iyo (Groves) is inhabited by Ehime, the North face called Sa-nuki (Sandy Hollows) inhabited by Iiyorohiko, the East face called Awa (Foxtail Millet) inhabited by Ōgetsuhime and the South face called To-sa inhabited by Takeyoriwake.2
1. Aston. W.G. (1896) “Nihongi Volume 1: Chronicles of Japan from the Earliest Times to AD697”. Tuttle Publishing.
2. Yasumaro. O, translated by Gustav Heldt. (2014) “Kojiki. An Account of Ancient Matters”. New York: Columbia University Press.
3. Yoda, H. and Alt, M. (2016) “Japandemonium: Illustrated: The Yokai Encyclopaedia of Toriyama Sekien.”. New York: over Publications, Inc.
Check out the Japan Archives, our Japanese History Podcast