Table of Contents
The kojiki elaborates more stating the island is made up of one body with four faces. Each face of the island was inhabited by a kami. The S.W face called Iyo (Groves) is inhabited by Ehime, the North face called Sa-nuki (Sandy Hollows) inhabited by Iiyorohiko, the East face called Awa (Foxtail Millet) inhabited by Ōgetsuhime and the South face called To-sa inhabited by Takeyoriwake.2
1. Aston. W.G. (1896) “Nihongi Volume 1: Chronicles of Japan from the Earliest Times to AD697”. Tuttle Publishing.
2. Yasumaro. O, translated by Gustav Heldt. (2014) “Kojiki. An Account of Ancient Matters”. New York: Columbia University Press.
3. Yoda, H. and Alt, M. (2016) “Japandemonium: Illustrated: The Yokai Encyclopaedia of Toriyama Sekien.”. New York: over Publications, Inc.
Find the website useful?