- First Ruler: –
- Final Ruler: –
- Dissolution: –
- Cadet Branches: Fujiwara Clan
- For a full list of Clans: See Japanese Clans.
The Nakatomi Clan (The Intercessors1– 中臣氏) are known to have been the Hereditary Chief Custodians of Shinto and Rituals claiming descent from the Shinto kami Ameno Koyane.2 It is said they worshiped the kami Takemikazuchinoo invoking him in Hymn prayers recited at their clan shrine in Kasuga.1
By the reign of Empress Kōgyoku this Clan had grown a hatred towards the Soga Clan due to their overarching political control of the Imperial Family, having placed numerous Emperors of their choice on the throne and so the then head of the clan Nakatomi no Kamatari aided in the destruction of the Soga Clan.
Members of the House
1. Yasumaro. O, translated by Gustav Heldt. (2014) “Kojiki. An Account of Ancient Matters”. New York: Columbia University Press.
2. Martin, P. (1997) “The Chrysanthemum Throne” Gloucestershire: Sutton Publishing Limited.
3. Kodansha. (1993) ”Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia”. Tokyo: Kodansha Ltd.
Check out the Japan Archives, our Japanese History Podcast